Two Projects Approved for Nomination to National Register of Historic Places

The Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board approved 12 proposed Ohio nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. Among these were the Joseph and Cecilia Bappert House in Cincinnati and Engine House No. 6 in Columbus.

Bappert House muralThe Joseph and Cecilia Bappert House is an outstanding local example of a single-family Tudor Revival residence built as part of an early-20th century subdivision for a prominent Cincinnati businessman. It’s also significant for featuring original artwork by well-known Cincinnati artist, Mathias Noheimer. Built in around 1936, the two-story Tudor-Revival residence exhibits numerous Tudor Revival architectural details, including an asymmetrical design, original leaded-glass casement windows throughout the house, half timbering on the façade, a central tower marking the front entrance. Additionally, the house retains the original and well-preserved, hand-painted wall murals by artist Mathias Noheimer. The Flemish and Germanic Renaissance artistry of the murals correlate to the strong German heritage of Cincinnati. The Bappert House retains a high degree of integrity with its setting little changed and with few alterations on both the exterior and interior.


Engine HouseBuilt in 1892, Engine House No. 6 is a two story, Romanesque Revival style building constructed of brick and limestone, located on the northeast corner of W. Broad St. and North Mill St. in the East Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus. It’s significant for its association with the history of firefighting provided by the City of Columbus. Completed in 1892, Engine House No. 6 is a two story, Romanesque Revival style building constructed of brick and limestone designed by architect John Flynn and built by contractor, D. Spencer & Sons. Engine House No. 6 is one of the few remaining Columbus engine houses built during the late nineteenth century, a period of considerable growth for Columbus resulting in changes in the way the city dealt with fighting fires. As the city extended its water mains further outward during this period of growth, water pressure declined, as the pumps at the municipal water supply were insufficient to maintain pressure for such great distances. In order to effectively fight fires in any part of the city, steam powered pumping engines, which could significantly increase pressure from the city’s fire hydrants were put into use by the fire department. Engine House No. 6 was one of about 12 engine houses that was either newly built, as is the case with Engine House No 6, or rebuilt to accommodate the larger equipment during the early-to-mid 1890s.

To learn more, visit…/june…/ohspab-meeting-june-2016